-Custom R/C Cars and Trucks  -R/C Video's  -Online Subscriber Showroom   
-R/C Online Community Networking Group

Radio Control Car Enthusiasts Welcome!


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Peeling the paint off....... (Part 2)

Photobucket
-After letting the body sit over night, about 24 hours. I am ready to remove the cloth around the body.

Photobucket
- Seen here as I pull off the cloth film the paint literally comes off it like a skin. this reduces a fare amount of work getting rid of the paint off the surface, instead of sanding everything.

Photobucket
-Using a course sponge I "wash" the body and help peel more of the paint off by using a little effort and making sure I can scrub everything I can before I neutralize the brake fluid on the surface.

Photobucket
- Once i'm happy with all the scrubbing I can do and remove all the paint I can, it's time to rinse off the body. I used Hot water and gave the body and nice hot rinse.

Photobucket
- I have added a step here, to make sure the paint and primer stick to the body, you have to neutralize the brake fluid and the chemical reaction that has been occurring. By using a mild degrease soap with hot water this will remove all the residue from the brake fluid and get the body clean enough for paint preparation. I would take your time here because the more you clean, the better outcome your going to get.

Photobucket
- As you can see, this method of paint removal is fairly easy and less "effort" than just dry sanding an entire body and re-priming and painting. However, even in this stage I have used some sand paper to grab the areas the brake fluid didn't. This isn't a big deal, because it really didn't take long to scuff up the un-treated areas.

Photobucket
- Once this is done, I'm ready to prep the body for primer and paint.

Photobucket
- I wasn't sure at first if this was going to work, but like I said I did a lot of research and asked the right people (even the people that make the brake fluid I used) and asked the right questions and was happy with the answers.
It's honestly worth trying with your next hard body. Always do this with a test area first and see for yourself. Now instead of spending all my nights this week sanding, filling pits and scratches here and there.... I have the body down to the bare bone and I can already take primer to it.

I will be posting pictures later on of the body completed in the "primer" stage. BUT remember R/C Modz Fans, I still need your help! I need paint scheme ideas. So, submit me your thoughts and paint ideas. If I use it and feature it on my blog you get a FREE R/C Modz Full Throttle fridge magnet! Why not right???

_______________________
-(Admin)
R/C Modz Full Throttle
Christopher Oswald

No comments: